Baltimore's First Winter Storm of 2019 - Some Tips for Cleaning Your Car Off
So, Baltimore and surrounding area got it's first blast of winter for 2019 last night. As I was cleaning the snow off my car last night to come home I thought about all the things I could have done (and didn't) that would have made the job easier. This morning I got up and shoveled and cleaned the 5 or so inches off my car and thought, nope, I am staying home for a while.
Here are a few tips to make cleaning your car off easier for the rest of the winter!!
- Clean the inside of your windshield off with shaving cream. This will help keep it from fogging up in the future.
- Wrap your cars side mirrors with plastic bags secured with elastic bands. Unless you have a garage it's impossible to keep your car completely clear of snow, but this one is easy to keep snow and ice free.
- Use hand sanitizer on your keys, this will help keep them from getting frozen in the locks. This is a great use for all those samples of hand sanitizer you get!!
- When you put your windshield wipers up put an old sock over each one, this will prevent ice build up on your wiper blades.
- When a storm is threatening put an old rug on your windshield, a piece of cardboard, an old sheet or an old towel will also work to keep the ice and snow from accumulating right on the glass. Then when you are ready to go you can just pull it off and your windshield is all clear.
- You know those socks we put on the wiper blades? You can also put them over your shoes for more traction on ice and snow.
- Especially in Maryland, where there is a lot of moisture in the air, car doors have a tendency to stick. Spray cooking spray around your car door and wipe, this will keep it from sticking in the cold.
- To reduce foggy windows put some extra absorbant kitty litter in old socks and leave them in the car to absorb the moisture that fogs up your windows.
- To give the back of your car a little more traction put a 20 lb bag of kitty litter in your trunk. In a pinch you can also use kitty litter under your tires on ice to get out of a slippery situation.
- Make your own windshield washer fluid. Fill a large bottle or jug with a gallon of water, add a tablespoon of dish soap, a cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol and a few drops of blue food coloring. The alcohol will keep it from freezing.
- When you park your car at night, try to face east so that when the sun rises in the morning it will melt some of the snow and ice on your car and make the clean up easier for you.
If you are thinking of buying or selling an home in Maryland give us a call at 410-292-0100 or start your search here and we'll talk about the market conditions and what your home could possibly be worth in today's market place if you are thinking of selling. If you are considering buying a home, there is no better time than now to buy. The tax savings and wealth building alone is worth the plunge into todays market. Remax New Beginnings and I are connected with some of the brightest and best real estate agents in the world and can assist with your move here in Maryland or anywhere in the United States or abroad. Ask me how.
June Piper-Brandon ~ Associate Broker ~ CDPE, CIAS, ePro, MRP
Long & Foster Hampden
410-292-0100 - Direct 410-889-9800 Office